Layers of graham cracker, fudgy chocolate brownie, and gooey marshmallows come together in these amazingly delicious Vegan S’mores Brownies!
With summer seemingly coming to a close, I find myself reminiscing about the good ol’ outdoors. The copious amount of rain we’ve had this summer definitely put a downer in partaking in outdoorsy activities. I am started to already see signs of Halloween and even CHRISTMAS popping up in stores already.. it’s disturbing to say the least!
So, I’m over here thinking about sunshine and nature and things… and s’mores comes to mind? I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of camping, or fires, or cooking food on a stick, so I was a little caught of guard by thoughts of s’mores. I know I know, I don’t like camping, how un-Canadian of me. But if s’mores be creepin’ into my headspace, I’m down to take the hint that I should probably make some!
Instead of going the route of traditional s’mores that require campfires and flaming marshmallows, we have these Vegan S’more BROWNIES! An equally delicious, s’mores alternative that encompasses everything you love about s’mores, sans open fire. We start off with simple a layer of graham cracker crust, followed a by thick, chewy brownie layer. The final, and most s’more-y layer, is the gooey toasted marshmallows on top! How delicious does all that sound!?
For a non-camping person like me, this is the perfect way to experience those campire s’more feels! I can definitely see this being a great fall or winter treat as well. Cozying up to the fireplace with a pan of these sounds like a great plan to me!
- 10 full vegan graham crackers (size dependent, you’ll need around ~160g)
- 2 tbs granulated white sugar (increase to 3 tbs if your graham crackers aren’t too sweet)
- 4 tbs vegan butter, melted
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- 6 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/4 heaping tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbs vegan chocolate chips
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1.5 flax eggs (1.5 tbs flax meal + 4.5 tbs warm water)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbs granulated white sugar
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 6 tbs vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups mini vegan marshmallows (~200 grams)
- 1 tbs vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease and/or line an 8×8 square pan, set aside
- Using a food processor or by hand, crush graham crackers into crumbs
- Mix with granulated sugar
- Add melted vegan butter and stir until you have a wet mixture similar to the consistency of “wet sand”
- Add mixture to prepped pan, and use hands or the bottom of a flat bottomed cup to evenly smooth and pack the mixture into the corners of the pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Allow to cool until crust begins to harden
- In a small bowl, stir together flax meal and warm water. Set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and both types of sugar together
- Add in the flax egg and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and mix again
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour brownie batter on top of the graham cracker crust, and use a spatula to spread evenly
- Bake for 28-32 mins or until a toothpick comes out barely clean
- Switch your oven to a low broil (450 F)
- Pour mini marshmallows onto the top of the brownies, spreading evenly
- Place in oven and watch very carefully – it took only 2 minutes for the marshmallows to brown in my oven
- Once removed from oven, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top, they will melt onto the marshmallows
- Allow to cool slightly prior to slicing. If slicing while warm, use a sharp knife and rinse between slices (I usually wait until they’re completely cool which makes slicing very easy, but for that “fresh out the fire” s’mores feeling, go ahead and slice ’em up!)
- Slice into quarters for small brownies, or thirds for larger brownies
For more brownie recipes, check these out:
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!