Ridiculously delicious and super chewy vegan oatmeal raisin cookies, bursting with raisins and cinnamon-y goodness!
There is something nostalgic about the combination of cinnamon and raisins for me. While I didn’t eat a lot of cinnamon raisin cookies growing up, I was definitely a frequent eater of cinnamon raisin toast.. which is the most likely source of my obsession for this flavour combo now that I think about it.
I remember when I was a youngin’ and first learned that raisins were basically just “old” grapes. I decided to run my own experiment.
After the initial excitement wore off, I just, well, I ate them. The end.
I never understood the kids that thought raisins were gross. In fact, I still don’t understand people who think raisins are gross. I was/am definitely not one of those kids/adults that was/is disappointed when the “chocolate chip” was/is actually an oatmeal raisin cookie in disguise. Just sayin’.
Cinnamon on the other hand, is a whole other story. I am an addict. It is probably the only flavour that can go head to head with chocolate or cocoa and actually have a good chance of winning. It is without a doubt the most used spice/flavour I use. Everything from coffee to toast to fruit are subjected to healthy dump of cinnamon. I say dump because I usually get impatient and end up tapping the bottom of the container too hard and literally end up with a nice dump of cinnamon on whatever I am trying to get all cinnamon-y. But hey, I am totally okay with that.
Now onto the cookies. These are super duper soft and thick. The chew of the oats makes for a hearty bite as expected, and the raisins are like little explosions of sweet counterbalanced by the boldness of the cinnamon. Simple, but oh so delicious.
Soo, give them a try! If you’re an oatmeal/cinnamon raisin enthusiast like I am, these are definitely right up your alley. And be sure to use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa on social media so I can peep all the yumminess! For more oatmeal based cookies, check out my vegan double chocolate oatmeal cookies recipe!
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 tbs dairy free milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins (I used golden raisins)
- For the flax egg, combine ground flax and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, add dry ingredients (rolled oats, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt) and stir to combine
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and both types of sugar
- Add flax egg, dairy free milk, and vanilla extract and continue to whisk
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir until fully incorporated
- Fold in raisins
- Chill dough for (at least) 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Scoop 1.5 tbs of dough and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Flatten the cookies as they will not spread much during baking
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges begin to turn golden brown
- Let cool on pan for a couple minutes, then transfer to a wire cooking rack to continue cooling