These easy Vegan Coconut Cupcakes are packed full of coconut flavour! With tonnes of coconut in many forms in the cake and icing and freshly toasted coconut to top them off!
I am a firm believer that coconut is the one food/flavor that just never lets you down. I have yet to be disappointed by it! Lately, I have been in the mood for anything and everything coconut. Enter these: Vegan Coconut Cupcakes!
These are the perfect coconut packed dessert for all you coconut lovers out there. Just the cake itself is full of shredded coconut, coconut oil AND coconut milk! Nutty toasted coconut tops the vegan buttercream icing with flavoured with coconut extract. That’s a whole lotta coconut goodness goin’ on, folks. The soft cake mixed with the smooth icing and slight crunch of the toasted coconut is just too dang good to pass up! Can we talk about that toasted coconut though!? AUGH. Toasted coconut honestly the best addition to anything! The fact that you can easily toast your own coconut at home is the best part!
These cupcakes are moist, perfectly sweet, and full of coconutty goodness. I don’t know about you, but when the weather gets warmer, coconut becomes the flavor of choice. These cupcakes are perfect anytime of the year, IMO, but they sure are excellent spring/summer treats! Nothing makes ya feel like warm and sunshine than some rich, delicious coconut. And in cupcake form, you’ve got an absolute winner!
These are definitely a must try for any coconut lover!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted & room temperature
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 – 2 tbs dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or sub coconut extract for extra coconut flavour)
- Toasted coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line and/or grease a 12 well muffin tin and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt) and stir to combine. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and oil
- Add in dairy free milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract, and stir to combine
- Add shredded coconut to wet ingredient mixture and stir
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, stirring to combine, taking care to not over mix
- Divide cupcake batter into your prepared muffin tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and allow to fully cool on a wire cooling rack
- Cream butter using hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth
- Start by adding 2 cups of powdered sugar to the butter, with the vanilla extract and 1 tbs of dairy free milk
- Add remaining sugar and continue to mix. If frosting is too stiff, add another 1 tbs of dairy free milk at a time
- When the cupcakes are fully cooled, pipe frosting on top or spread over top of cupcakes
- Optional: Top with toasted coconut
- To make your own, take 1/3 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut and warm in a frying pan over medium heat for a few minutes
- Stir constantly – once the coconut starts browning it’ll go very fast!
- Once your coconut is light, medium brown, remove from heat
- Allow to cool before sprinkling on top of frosted cupcakes
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!