This recipe takes traditional bran muffins up a notch! These Vegan Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins are oil free and supremely delicious!
I’m just going to come right out and say it – I think bran muffins will always be a guilty pleasure for me. I am usually a chocolate fiend, but I find that “healthy” flavour of bran to be so satisfying. I may or may not be partial to bran muffins when given a choice. They’re just so dang good!
Especially these ones! These are are a bit of a spin on my Vegan Cranberry Flax Muffins. Instead of cranberries, these are studded with dried blueberries and the oil is replaced with mashed banana! They’re like mini banana bread-blueberry-bran-muffin hybrids! The hearty bran and whole wheat flour make these a healthier muffin choice. No oil makes them even healthier. On top of all the fiber in these muffins, they are also loaded with flax, so we’ve got a nice dose of omega-3 fats as well! Whoop whoop.
I love a couple of these as a midday pick me up snack. The sweetness of the blueberries satisfies the sweet tooth and the heartiness of the muffin fills me up. But hey, I love these as a dessert option too – who says ‘healthy’ muffins can’t be dessert!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bran
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (both flours, oat bran, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt), stirring to combine
- In a medium bowl combine dairy free milk, brown sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla and whisk together
- Stir in dried blueberries
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and gently mix until incorporated
- Divide batter into prepped muffin tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!