These Vegan Black Forest Brownies are everything you love about Black Forest cake, in brownie form! A fudgy brownie layer is topped with sweet cherry jam and lathered in whip cream for a perfect treat!
Who else agrees that the combination of chocolate and cherry is just, magical? I usually like to keep my chocolate flavored things away from fruit – but chocolate and cherry? Hells yeah! That is a combo that I can get behind for sure!
I have been meaning to make something Black Forest-esque for a while now. While a vegan BF cake was the most obvious option, vegan BF brownies ended up taking the cake! See what I did there?
And boy oh boy do brownies work perfectly! The thick, fudgy brownies with their crisp edges go exceptionally well with the sweet cherry jam and fluffy coconut whip cream. So much flavor and texture in one bite, it’s phenomenal! And don’t even get me started on the whip cream! Making your own vegan coconut whip is so quick, easy and DELICIOUS. Not to mention, it’s the perfect third-wheel to the choco-cherry relationship!
Top everything off with maraschino cherries and dark chocolate curls for even more black forest-ness. Holy guacamole. They are SO good! It’s official; chocolate and cherry are an absolute match made in heaven. These are the perfect fruity, chocolatey dessert!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax + 6 tbs warm water)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cherry jam – store bought, or try my 30 Minute Cherry Chia Jam
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Alternatively, you can buy store-bought vegan whip cream of your liking! My favorite when I am in a pinch is So Delicious CocoWhip
- 16 maraschino cherries
- Dark chocolate curls/shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- In a small bowl, stir together flax meal and warm water. Set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and both types of sugar together
- Add in the flax eggs and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and mix again
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour brownie batter into an 8×8 pan that has been greased and/or lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 28-32 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool completely before removing from pan
- If making my 30 Minute Cherry Chia Jam, follow the instructions here
- Add 1/2 cup of cherry jam to the top of fully cooled brownies and spread evenly
- Remove the hard coconut cream portion from your chilled can of coconut milk into a large bowl
- Reserve the remaining coconut water for use in other deliciousness (like smoothies)
- Using a stand or electric mixer, mix the coconut cream until it is light and fluffy (a few minutes)
- Add powdered sugar and continue to whip for a few more minutes
- Place into the fridge until you’re ready to use
- I like to add the whip cream right before serving
- Spoon the whip cream on top of cherry layer and spread evenly
- Add any additional toppings like maraschino cherries or shaved dark chocolate
- Cut brownies into quarters
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
* Nutrition info may greatly depending on homemade vs. store-bought jam and whip cream!