All the goodness of the rice krispie treats you loved as a child in an easy VEGAN version! Toasted coconut and roasted cashews come together to make these squares nutty, sweet, and simply irresistible.
Hi everyone, Happy May! 😊 This year is just flying by, I can’t believe it. Is it just me or does every year seems so go by faster than the last..? Like. What. Is. Going. On. Sometimes I wake up and wonder where the hell all this time disappears to. It definitely serves as a frequent reminder to always live in the moment!
Well, at least this recipe is pretty much guaranteed to take you back to feeling like a kid! I’ll take some solace in that. This is one I’ve been wanting to do for a while now and finally got around to it.. Cause let’s be real here – rice krispie treats are effing delicious.
It’s just so sad that these squares of crisp rice and pillowy marshmallows in their traditional form are so not vegan friendly! The F? Not cool man. Not cool at all. Thank goodness for all the options and great products that are out there now to make rice krispies very vegan friendly. Yay for that!
To make these vegan, I used Dandies Mini Vanilla Marshmallows, which are vegan, non-GMO, contain no high fructose corn syrup (yaaas!), and are just as delicious as regular marshmallows, sans gelatin! For the cereal, I used One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps. I just looove and appreciate the fact that the rice is spouted and sweetened with coconut palm sugar. And to replace the butter that is normally used, I just used good ol’ coconut oil! So simple and seriously better than store bought rice krispie treats. Seriously.
But of course, we gotta take that sh*t up a level. I mean we’re adults, right? We gotta make dem rice krispies fancy and sophisticated. First, toasted coconut. I’ve never really tried toasting coconut myself, and after doing it for this recipe and realizing how friggin’ easy it is, I can’t believe I waited this long. Now, pretty much everything I eat will have a healthy serving of toasted coconut on/in it.
The toasted coconut adds a wonderful texture, and paired with the coconut oil, takes the coconut flavour up several notches of nummyness. Any coconut lover will appreciate what I’m talking about! ↑↑ Just look at that deliciousness! Add some roasted cashews into the mix, and bam, you have nutty, crunchy, ooey gooey vegan rice krispies. I am seriously drooling as I write this!
The best thing about this kind of recipe is that you can totally personalize it to your liking, there is just so much room for creativity. Even the shapes you make them in.. I’m thinking hearts or flowers for Mother’s Day, perhaps? I mean how many batches of rice krispies did your mom make for you when you were a kid, now you can make these adult version for her! Ideas, ideas, ideas..
So give ‘em a try! If you were (or still are) a rice krispie fiend you’ll definitely enjoy these!
- 6 cups (150g) crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 bag (285g) vegan mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grease and or/line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper
- In a large pan, toast the coconut over low-medium heat, stirring frequently until golden (about 5-10 minutes)
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil over low-medium heat
- When melted, add mini marshmallows and stir frequently until marshmallows are melted
- Remove from heat, and stir vanilla and salt
- Add cereal, toasted coconut and cashews to the marshmallow mixture and stir until everything is nicely incorporated
- Pour mixture into your prepared pan, and use hands or a greased spatula to press rice krispies evenly into the pan
- Allow to set for about 30 minutes
- Remove from pan and cut into 12 rectangles
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa on Instagram, I love seeing what you guys come up with!