These are quite literally the BEST Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes ever! Decadent and rich, they’re so delicious you’d never be able to tell they’re vegan!
To be honest, I don’t know why these chocolate cupcakes have taken this long to end up on the blog. I have been making these here cuppycakes for years now. They are the most requested treat of fam and friends.. which doesn’t surprise me though, cause they’re absolutely f*cking delicious.
And with Valentine’s Day coming up, I personally think these are the perfect little treat for the occasion. Screw stale boxed chocolates and all that junk, this REAL chocolatey goodness is where it’s at. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure hearing “I made you cupcakes” is > “I love you“.
In the post for my Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes way back when, I went on quite the rant about forever pledging my allegiance to team chocolate. This recipe pays homage to said allegiance and my undying patriotism to my team.
Basically, if your love for chocolate is like mine and transcends all worldly things, you are so gonna love this recipe. Not only are these cupcakes ridiculously easy to make, they taste better than any thing I’ve ever come across from a store or bakery. A few I’ve tried have been so overly dense and heavy I felt like an oily pile of you know what after eating one.
These though, are moist and rich, with the perfect balance between tender and firm. The cake isn’t overly sweet, but it pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate frosting. In fact, I am eating one as I write this and I really wish I could share a bite through the screen. But kind of not really cause what chocolate lover shares their chocolate? Unheard of.
Enjoy, friends! Don’t sleep on this one – chocolate cupcake glory awaits you!
For even more chocolatey things, check out:
- Chocolate Candy Cane Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Orange Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Oreo Cake
- Vegan Double Chocolate Mini Muffins
- The Easiest Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Mini Vegan Chocolate Cakes
- 1 Bowl Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts + Peanut Butter Glaze
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbs dairy free milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line and or grease a 12 well muffin tin and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt) and stir to combine. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and oil
- Add in dairy free milk, vinegar, and vanilla extract, and stir to combine
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, stirring to combine
- Take care to not over mix – a few lumps are okay!
- Divide cupcake batter into your prepared muffin tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and allow to fully cool on a wire cooling rack
- Using a stand or electric mixer, mix vegan butter for a few minutes until light and fluffy
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa, and start with 1 tablespoon of dairy free milk, and continue to mix. Add another 1/2 to 1 tbs of milk if frosting is too stiff
- When the cupcakes are fully cooled, pipe frosting on top or spread over top of cupcakes
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!