Homemade, no bake, gluten free, AND vegan!? All words to describe these amazing protein balls that take no time at all to make!
These protein balls are seriously so good. What’s almost as good as how they taste is how fast they come together.
Literally 1 bowl and about 10 minutes is all you need. These are made from simple, healthy ingredients and are totally customizable. Plus they don’t have all of that junk you find in commercial protein snacks. Did I mention they’re delicious?
The thing about these little guys is how filling they are. It’s amazing.
The combination of complex carbs from the oats, fat from the coconut oil and peanut butter, and protein from the protein powder gives these balls some serious filling power. Usually one is good enough for me to feel satiated. Sometimes two if I’m super hungry, but no more than that. And believe me, that’s a rarity for me.
The banana and chocolate chips provide just the right amount of sweetness for your brain to buy into the illusion that you’re eating a treat. Psych, brain – it’s all health here.
How does that Lady Gaga song go, “it was a perfect illusion” or something? Yup, these are definitely that.
The coconut oil provides that instant cell energy so these are one of my favourite pre-workout snacks. But these are really the perfect anytime snack. Portable, yummy, and nutritious.
That’s a win in my books, folks.
A word on protein powder: I personally use Iron Vegan’s Sprouted Protein Powder, in either chocolate or vanilla. I love this stuff, it tastes great in snacks like this as well as in shakes. And it doesn’t have that gritty texture that some vegan protein powders do (plus it’s organic, raw, GF, vegan, etc., it’s basically amazing – and no, they’re not paying me to say this).
So if you’re using a different brand, you may have to adjust the amount of protein powder that you use. Be wary of how much you are using and it’s potential to disrupt the flavour.
Give ‘em a try! It’s hard to go wrong with something so simple. I’m sure you and your family will love them!
And be sure to use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa on social media so I can see all your wonderful creations!
- 1 ½ cup quick oats*
- 2-4 scoops vegan protein powder
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Optional extras**
- In a large bowl, mash the banana
- Add the coconut oil, and peanut butter to the banana and stir to combine
- Add in the oats, protein powder and shredded coconut
- Stir the mixture, and add water. I recommend using your hands to make sure everything is fully incorporated (the amount of water you need may need to be adjusted depending on the composition of the protein powder you use and the degree to which it soaks up the liquid)
- Fold in the chocolate chips and/or any other mix ins you like
- Roll into golfball sized balls and place in a parchment lined container
- Place in freezer for about an hour to set
- Once set, remove balls from the freezer
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These keep quite well, I’ve stored them for 1.5-2 weeks in the fridge with no spoilage
* Make sure certified GF if necessary ** Extras can really be anything you want - ground flax, chia or hemp seeds, cinnamon, raisins, dried fruit, or nuts are some of my favourites