These Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies are delicious AND incredibly super simple to whip up. The best part, you’d never be able to tell they’re vegan!
Sometimes, simple cookies are the best cookies. These Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies are just that – S I M P L E! Just a few ingredients and you’re on your way to sugar cookie heaven. I have been craving some cookie action for a while and these definitely hit the spot! I mean, can you really turn down a sugar cookie!? Nah. I don’t think you can!
What I love about these cookies is that they are versatile, and you can make them how YOU like. If you prefer softer cookies, leave ’em thick and you’ll end up with pillowy centers and crisp edges *drools*. And if you want crispier, crunchy cookies, just make ’em a little thinner! You can use cookie cutters to make whatever shape your heart desires, or simply scoop some dough and flatten. Either way, the deliciousness is real, folks. AND, the fact that they are in fact vegan sugar cookies is virtually undetectable! Then you’re on to the real fun, decorating!
I’ve never really been one to make those fancy decorated iced cookies, but after making a few batches of these, that may change. Cookie decorating is just so dang fun! So many fun colors and cute sprinkley things! Augh. I am already thinking about all the Christmas shapes and designs! I know, I know – too early for any mention of Christmas! Sorry, sorry.
Aren’t they so darn cute!? I think icing and sprinkles just add an instant cute factor to anything. I may add, these make for excellent dunkers in coffee and tea!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temp (I used Earth Balance)
- 4 tbs dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 4 tbs dairy free milk
- Begin by combining all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and vegan butter using a handheld or stand mixer, until fluffy and creamy
- Mix in vanilla extract and dairy free milk
- Add about half of the dry ingredients to the wet, mix, then add the other half and continue mixing (I usually do the last of the mixing by hand)
- Form into a ball and chill in the fridge for an hour
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- If doing cut-out cookies, follow the steps below. If not, use a cookie scoop to scoop balls of dough onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Flatten with fingers
- Cut-out cookies: Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/2″ thick (thinner = crunchy, thicker = softer). I do half of the dough at a time while the other half stays in the fridge
- Cut out shapes of your choice, and place onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before icing and decorating
- To a medium bowl, add icing sugar and dairy free milk, and whisk until fully incorporated
- If adding food colouring, do so now. If using multiple colours, split icing into small bowls then add colour
- Add icing to a piping bag or ziploc bag with the corner snipped off, and pipe onto cookies in whatever design you like
- Top with sprinkles or other goodies while icing is still wet
- Allow to set completely before stacking cookies
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!