This ridiculously easy lemon loaf topped with a sweet-tart lemon glaze is to die for! This recipe is simple, vegan, and a must have for all lemon lovers!
Another year is upon us.. Welcome to 2019, friends! I hope you had a wonderful New Year’s celebration. With another holiday season come and gone, we’ve now got this fresh, clean, NEW slate before us! A slate that’s ready to be drawn allllll over! Whose excited! I’m excited! Despite the usual arctic climate that graces YYC in January, the New Year is one of my favourite times of the year. New year, new you, new me, new everything. ALL THE THINGS. NEW.
Since the new year is “refreshing” and all, I wanted the first recipe of 2019 to also be “refreshing”. And how much more “refreshing” can you get than lemons? Okay I will stop air quoting refreshing. But srsly, lemons. Life has given them, so yer darn right I’m absolutely going to make them into something delicious and villainously laugh at life while eating the deliciousness.
This lemon loaf is pretty much the bomb dot com. Just sayin’. It’s so easy to throw together too. The time investment (and forthcoming impatience) comes when you have to let the damn thing bake and your house smells like lemon-y goodness and you want to eat it but you can’t eat it cause it’s in the oven and then you take it out of the oven and it’s hot AF so you still can’t eat it and then you have to glaze it up and oh my Lord I just want to eat the damn thing.. But trust me peeps, it’s worth the wait.
The loaf itself is super soft and moist, not too sweet with subtle hints of lemon. The glaze is what send it over the edge of lemon heaven, being perfectly tart and sweet at the same time. Mmmm. So so so good.
So, here’s to another year. Let this one serve as a reminder that the lemons that life gives can always be transformed into something sweet! For more lemon tingz, check out my Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Bars!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used white sugar)
- 1 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbs lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and line with parchment paper (leave enough overhang for easy removal of the loaf)
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). Stir to combine
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients (sugar, dairy free milk, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract), and stir until fully combined
- Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to wet ingredients, and gently mix them together until fully incorporated
- Pour batter into prepped loaf pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes – remove and tent with tinfoil to prevent the top from over browning
- Return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean
- Place onto wire rack to cool
- Once cool enough, remove from loaf pan using the overhang of parchment paper and allow to fully cool
- Prepare glaze by mixing all glaze ingredients (powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest) until fully mixed
- Drizzle glaze over top of the loaf – allow to set before slicing (I put mine in the refrigerator for 10 minutes because I am impatient)
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 slices
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!