These hearty quinoa bars are a unique take on the traditional lemon poppy seed combination. They are bursting with the zing of lemon, studded with crunchy poppy seeds and filled with the protein packed goodness of quinoa!
You wanna know something awesome about quinoa? Everything. Everything is awesome about quinoa.
I used to think I looooved rice. That is, until I tried the trendy, odd lookin’ grain with the weird name. I mean, I still loooove rice, but now I loooove love love quinoa. All that yum paired with a buttload of nutritional value? Yes please, I got time for that.
One of the reasons I love this sh*t so much is because of it’s versatility. Did you know it’s just as amazeballs in baking? If you’ve never used quinoa in sweeter dishes (hello, oatmeal alternative!) or in baking, prepared to fall in love with it all over again. Fear not, friends, quinoa definitely belongs in desserts.
My first memory of the lemon poppy seed flavour combo were those mini muffins that you get from the grocery store bakery. I was instantly hooked. The zing of lemon and crunch of poppy seeds just doesn’t get old! In this recipe, I wanted to bring back that classic flavour, but take it up a notch by incorporating quinoa and oats. Sometimes you just need to branch out, right!? The combination works just as great in these bars- they are wonderfully aromatic, fresh, and delicious! Ah, lemon poppy seed, you the best!
The greatest thing about these bars is: A) how easy they are to make and B) how simple yet fulfilling the ingredients are. The bars have that hearty feel to them, and I find are super easy on the tummy. Those of you with sensitive tummies know exactly what I’m talkin’ about. Take a bite and you’ve got sweet, crunch, zing, and chew all combined together! Now that’s real bang for your buck. Delicious, no tummy aches, *ding ding ding*, we have a winner!
These make for an excellent breakfast bar, mid day treat, or even dessert! Especially for summer, with all that refreshing lemony flavour. And at just over 200 calories a pop, there is no guilt to be had here! In fact, you can even feel good about eating these super grain infused bars!
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 ripe bananas, medium
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax + 6 tbs warm water)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbs (45g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dairy free milk, unsweetened
- Optional: 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- For the flax eggs, stir together 2 tbs of ground flax and 6 tbs of warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken
- In a large bowl, begin by mashing the bananas
- Add melted coconut and sugar to bananas, and stir to combine
- Add in flax eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir once more
- To the wet mixture, add in the oats, cooked quinoa, poppyseeds, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt
- Stir all ingredients until fully combined
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until top is firm when pressed
- Allow to cool completely before glazing
- In a small bowl, combine all glaze ingredients together and stir to combine
- Add a little more sugar or more milk if you want your glaze thicker or thinner
- Drizzle over cooled bars
- Cut into 9 squares
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!