Everything you could ask for in a brownie: easy, delicious, and vegan! So chewy and fudgy, these brownies from scratch are just as simple as a box mix, but taste so much better!
Somewhere in between that uncomfortable feeling of being filled to your neck with food, and the top button of your pants wavering to keep you from busting open like a can of biscuits , hearing the word “dessert” seems to manifest a second stomach of sorts. The dessert stomach.
A completely separate storage entity that seemingly appears out of no where. And I mean literally, no where! Like dark abyss no where. Spontaneously materializes. I know you know what I mean. You go from not wanting to ever consume another morsel of food for the rest of your life to, ‘hell yes I have room for dessert, pass that sh*t over here will ya’.
It’s basically sorcery.
Brownies are one of the many sweet treats that fit into this category of wizardry. I mean, I don’t know about you, but all that fudgy, chewy, chocolatey goodness is definitely enough for my dessert stomach to make an appearance.
These brownies are no exception. Simple ingredients and about 30 minutes are all that stand between you and these amazing little squares of pure bliss. Amazing, people, amazing. Trust.
Did I mention they’re vegan? And believe me, you’ll fool all the non-vegans who try them. I SEEN’T it. They won’t have a friggin’ clue.
When you inform them that they are in fact eating a vegan brownie, they’ll be all, “*gasps* What!? Not possible!” Then, they’ll look down at the brownie in their hands, fingers wrapped around the rich, fudgy, square from (vegan) heaven, and try their damn hardest to miraculously bestow some sort of “vegan food is gross” flavour upon their taste buds. And when they realize it ain’t happenin’, their eyes will shift from the brownie, back up to you, and you’ll be all “Yes. Yes possible“. *drops mic and does sassy AF hair flip* 💁🏻.
Soo, make yourself AND your dessert stomach happy and give these a try! You won’t be disappointed. Box mixes, be gone! Who knew brownies from scratch could be so fudging easy?
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs flax meal + 6 tbs warm water)
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted*
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- In a small bowl, stir together flax meal and warm water. Set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and both types of sugar together
- Add in the flax eggs and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and mix again
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour brownie batter into an 8x8 pan that has been greased and/or lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 28-32 mins or until a toothpick comes out barely clean
- Cool completely before removing from pan
- Cut into thirds both ways for 9 larger squares or quarters both ways for 16 smaller squares
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!