These Easy Apricot Walnut Bars are and absolutely scrumptious treat! Made from a base of oats, these bars are not only vegan, they are gluten free too!
Something about apricot is so satisfying. Whether fresh, dried, or in jam form, they’re just so dang delicious! I thought it was about time this blog has some apricot-y goodness goin’ on. Whose with me!?
This recipe is partially inspired by a Hungarian dessert that my Mom makes, but in a way easier form that’s both vegan and gluten free. What she makes is called Zserbó , and it’s made out of several alternating layers of dough, apricot jam and walnuts. It’s amazing delicious, and it’s definitely one of the many Hungarian desserts I miss since going vegan. But between rolling out layers of dough and topping each one with jam and walnuts, I wanted to get my apricot bar fix in with something that required less effort. Much less effort!
Enter these! Easy Vegan Apricot Walnut Bars! Not only are they vegan, but using oats as the base of the crust also means they’re gluten free! They’re made from a simple oat crust, topped with a layer of apricot jam and finished off with a crumble made from the oat layer and walnuts! The hearty oat crust goes incredibly well with the sweet layer of apricot and the crunch of the crumble on top. To make these even more appealing, they are so incredibly easy to throw together!
These are the perfect fruity treat when you need something quick and easy! Enjoy, friends!
What kind of fruit do you like best in desserts? Let me know in the comments down below!
- Oat Layer
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- Apricot Layer:
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Line a 8″ x 8″ baking pan with parchment paper and set aside (leave some overhang for easy removal)
- For the flax egg, combine 1 tbs flax with 3 tbs warm water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (oats, oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt) and stir to combine
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup and flax egg, and stir to combine
- Add dry ingredient mixture to the wet, and stir until fully incorporated
- Take 3/4 of the oat mixture and press it into your prepped pan. Use your fingers to press the crust evenly into all corners of the pan. Reserve the remaining 1/4 for the crumble topping
- Bake the oat crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes
- While baking, add 1/2 cup of roughly chopped walnuts to the remaining oat mixture and combine (I used my hands for this)
- Remove the crust from the oven after 10 minutes and spread 1 cup of apricot jam evenly onto of the crust
- Crumble the oat/walnut mixture over top of the apricot jam, pressing down on it lightly so it sticks into the jam
- Return to the oven and continue to cook for another 20 minutes
- Allow to fully cool before removing from pan and cutting into 16 squares
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!