Soft, chewy Medjool dates filled with peanut butter and almonds, enrobed in melted chocolate – These are a perfect treat made with real, whole food ingredients!
Okay date lovers, this one’s for you! The magic of dates and all their deliciousness serves as the base for this recipe! Since dates are the main ingredient, it means that these are a slightly healthier treat to indulge in! Right? Right!
Inspo for this recipe comes from all the things that tend to be devoured when a craving hits. I know when I need a lil’ treat in my life, it’s pretty much always got to be something sweet and/or chocolatey and/or nutty. These stuffed dates combine of them together into little bites of goodness.
You’ve got the sweet from the dates, the chocolate from the, well, chocolate, and the nutty from the peanut butter and almonds tucked away inside. The key, though, is the TYPE of almond you stuff into your dates. Tamari roasted almonds. It’s gotta be tamari roasted almonds. Sounds weird, sure, but the salt, crunch and flavour of those almonds goes SO well with the soft, chewy sweetness of the dates.
These have become my new favourite treat to keep handy. I store them in the freezer for those after dinner/late night sweet tooth cravings, and they do the trick! Not only are these extremely easy to make, they pretty much take no time at all. In addition to these stuffed dates being vegan, they’re also gluten free and contain no added sugar!
Definitely give these a try – you won’t regret it!
- Stuffed Dates:
- 20 medjool dates
- 40 tamari roasted almonds (this was just over 40g for me)
- 10 tsp natural peanut butter
- Chocolate Coating:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pit and cut open the dates
- Add 1/2 tsp of peanut butter inside each date
- Stuff 2 tamari almonds inside with the peanut butter
- In a medium bowl melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together – I did this in the microwave stirring every 15 seconds for a few minutes until melted
- Dip each stuffed date into the chocolate using a couple of forks or a toothpick stuck through the middle
- Once coated in chocolate, place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Top with sea salt (optional)
- Place into freezer for 25+ minutes until chocolate is set
- Store in fridge or freezer until ready to eat
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram. I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!