Everything you love about traditional apple pie, in an easy bar form! These Apple Oatmeal Bars are vegan AND gluten free, and will surely satisfy all your apple pie cravings.
Hello, friends! And Happy October! I seriously can’t believe how fast September blew by. Like, what? Where? September, where u go? Okay whatever September, BYE ✋🏼.
So with October here, Thanksgiving is right around the corner for us Canadians, and the flavours and yumminess of apple pie have been on my mind. Plus, all the mountainous piles of apples at the grocery store have been reminding me that it’s definitely time to get cookin’ with some apples.
Is it just me that finds it so exciting to see and try all the obscure varieties of apples that are in season this time of year!? My personal favourite apples this time of year are honeycrisps, no doubt about it. In fact, I am currently snacking on one as I write this! Mmmm.
While I’ve been fantasizing about apple pie flavours for a few weeks now, I haven’t quite reached the point of wanting to make a full blown apple pie. Yet. For whatever reason, I have been pulled more towards an easy portable snack type apple pie treat. Some sort of bar was an obvious choice! So I paired my recent oat obsession with my apple pie cravings and out came these: ↓
Apple Oatmeal Bars. GUYS. Expectation were definitely exceeded. They are SO mother-fudging good! Breakfast, snack, dessert, these bars gotcho back whenever. All them oats, mixed with spicey sweetness AND apples.. good God. And the cinnamon oat topping just takes them to a level of über deliciousness. This is definitely another one of my Fall favourite treats, that is easy to make and is oh so comforting (and aires on the side of decently healthy, yesssss).
If you’re lookin’ to sneak some apple pie flavours into your life definitely give this recipe a try. And comment below what your favourite types of apples are this time of year!
- Apple Oatmeal Bars:
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup oats (rolled or quick)
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour *
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/4 nutmeg
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, sliced
- Cinnamon Oat Topping:
- 1/2 cup oats, rolled or quick
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- For the flax egg, combine 1 tbs flax and 3 tbs warm water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken
- Grease and line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish leaving overhang for easy removal
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir to combine
- Add all wet ingredients except the apples and stir until everything is incorporated
- Add batter to your prepped pan, and press it down into the pan into an even layer
- Layer apple slices on top of oat layer
- Combine all crumble ingredients in a small bowl and mix until you have a course mixture
- Sprinkle cinnamon oat mixture on top of apples
- Bake in preheated over for about 30-32 minutes
- Allow to cool in pan, then remove using parchment paper overhang
- Allow to fully cool before cutting into 8 bars
*For easy oat flour, throw your whole oats into a high powered blender or food processor!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
For more apple deliciousness, check out my recipe for Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips!