This easy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal will transform your morning bowl of oats! Filled with dried apples, spicy cinnamon and studded with chia seeds, this wholesome breakfast is way better than any store bought packet of oatmeal!
Alright folks. I’m going cut straight to the chase and state the facts – Apple Cinnamon is the GOAT when it comes to instant oatmeal flavours. *drops mic*
*picks mic back up* Okay but for real, who else agrees that apple cinnamon instant oatmeal is f*ing amazing?
As a kid, I hated oatmeal. Hated. I always tried to like it. That ‘Dino Eggs’ flavour that Quaker has/had always intrigued me, but when I tried to eat it, it was a nope. Now that I think back on it, what the hell is a Dino Egg?!?!
Somewhere within adulting, that did a 180 flip and oatmeal became a fave. Apple & Cinnamon instant oatmeal packets, that is. Once I actually starting liking the idea of oatmeal, then came the issue with the long ingredient list. Like shouldn’t it just be oatmeal, and apples, and cinnamon?… No, apparently not.
Trying to solve this dilemma with plain oats à la chopped apples and cinnamon was good, but not cutting it for me. I mean don’t get me wrong, fresh apples are a definite yes, but something was missing without those little pieces of dried apple that the packets have! My solution to this is to take dried apple rings and pulse them into small chunks. Wowza. This is an absolute must to take a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal up a notch! The dried apples add a tonne of apple flavour and chewiness to the oats!
Now, your “instant” oatmeal can be healthified too! I prep a big batch of the dry ingredients for this for the whole week. That way, it’s JUST as easy as the packets, but way better for you! And much tastier, too 🙂.
I’d love to know what your favourite instant oatmeal flavour is, leave me a comment down below!
- 1 cup quick oats (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- ~1/2 cup unsweetened/natural apple rings (around 50g), pulsed into small pieces
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tbs brown sugar/maple syrup or agave, depending on desired sweetness
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped apples tossed in cinnamon
- Roughly chopped walnuts
- More maple syrup
- Hemp hearts
- Begin by pulsing dried apple rings in a food processor or blender to make small chunks. If you want to make your own instead of store-bought, try this recipe for Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips which will work similarly
- To a small saucepan add oats, water, dairy free milk, apple bits, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt
- If using brown sugar, add now. When using liquid sweeteners such as maple syrup or agave I like to add it when the oats are finished cooking
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently
- Reduce heat and allow to cook for a few minutes on low-medium heat (a little longer if using rolled oats)
- Remove from heat and separate into 2 bowls (add liquid sweetener now if using)
- Top with (optional) goodies; chopped apples, walnuts, granola, hemp, etc!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!