A few minutes is all you need to enjoy these ridiculously easy 5 Minute Cinnamon Roasted Almonds! These are an easy and delicious vegan and gluten free treat made with simple ingredients!
Almonds are probably one of the greatest foods ever, wouldn’t you agree!? Raw, or roasted, or salted, or unsalted, or in the form of almond butter.. mmm. Any way ya spin them they are just delicious. This roasted almond recipe is one of those feel good snacks that literally takes 5 minutes to make and will surely fill an almond craving!
I was introduced to this technique for roasting almonds just recently. I would have NEVER thought you could roast almonds in a microwave.. The thought just never occurred to me! Since seeing it for my own eyes, I’m convinced! My M-O-L often roasts almonds in the microwave with salt and a bunch of other spices for a savory snack. As soon as I saw this, I knew I had to make a sweet version!
So, obviously cinnamon has to be involved. I wanted to go for a sort of candied cinnamon roasted almond that didn’t involve pans/stoves/ovens/time/etc. None of that. All you need for these is a bowl, a microwave and a few minutes! And some almonds, of course!
When I initially saw almonds roasted in the microwave, they were tossed in some coconut oil. The result of adding oil are almonds that have a very strong roasted flavor. It’s nice, don’t get me wrong, but it’s something I was looking to avoid in this recipe. For one, I wanted to avoid adding extra fat to an already high fat snack, and I wanted to avoid the almonds roasting too fast and ultimately burning, which is a possibility since the cinnamon sugar coating takes a few minutes to cook onto the almonds.
And sans oil worked! A simple blend of cinnamon, sugar, and water makes for a wonderful coating of caramelized goodness that cooks up and hardens as they cool. And then you’ve got a big batch of crunchy, sweet, toasty almonds!
All this, and it only takes 5 minutes! These are the perfect finger food, topping on oats, cereal or yogurt, and make a really easy and delicious gift! They are definitely a must try!
- 2 cups natural almonds, unsalted
- 5 tbs sugar (you can use all white, or half white half brown)
- 3 tbs water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt and water, in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds until it becomes thicker (more like a syrup consistency) and bubbly. The time it takes varies greatly on how powerful your microwave is, so check on it every 15 seconds!
- Add almonds, and stir until completely coated with cinnamon sugar syrup
- Microwave for another 2-3 minutes. Again, the time it takes will depend on the power of the microwave. Check on them ever 30 seconds or so, gently tossing each time until the coating no longer has a liquid consistency and the almonds are a deep brown color
- If you want your almonds extra roasted, continue microwaving in 15-30 second intervals until desired roast is reached! (Be careful of burning, though! It can happen very fast)
- Spread onto a paper towel or parchment paper and allow to fully cool. The almonds will continue to roast slightly and the coating will fully harden
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!