All the goodness of classic chocolate chip cookies, made vegan! The best part? You’ll only need 1 bowl! These are definitely a must try for any chocolate chip cookie lover!
Over the years of reading countless food blogs, or any sort of writing having to do with food for that matter, I’ve come to realize something. Something that is generally true of a HUGE proportion of the population.
And that something is this: a lot of people frickin’ love butter. And I mean frickin’ love butter.
I, on the other hand, think butter is of the devil. Yes I said it. The devil.
Being lactose intolerant, I don’t consume dairy anyways. But even if me and dairy did get along, butter is something that I would continue to avoid like the plague. That and cheese, oh god cheese, don’t even get me started.
So, why the butter/dairy, rant you ask? Well, if you’re anything of a cookie connoisseur, you know that traditional chocolate chip cookies are loaded up the a$$ with butter. The f, right?
So what’s a chocolate chip cookie cravin’ girl (or guy!) to do? Solution: coconut oil. This is also the solution to pretty much any life problem you may be having.
Skin or hair problems?
Just put coconut oil on it!… or.. something like that.
Okay, back to cookies. These are seriously addicting. They are crispy on the outside with a thick and soft, chewy interior. And no, they don’t taste like coconut oil!
This recipe is easy peasy, I mean, it doesn’t get much easier than one bowl. And these cookies are so delicious that even the butter lovers will enjoy them. So whether you’re trying to reduce dairy consumption in your own diet, or you’re like me and just think dairy is yucky (high five!), give these cookies a try!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- ½ tbs vanilla extract
- For the flax egg, combine ground flax and warm water, and set aside to thicken
- In a large bowl, combine melted coconut oil and sugars and mix with an electric or stand mixer until combined
- Mix in flax egg and vanilla extract to oil and sugar and mix again
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Gently fold in chocolate chips
- Chill dough in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough into round balls and place on parchment or silicone lined baking sheet
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges and bottoms start to get golden brown
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes (at this point you can cookie smash, if you want flatter, crinkled cookies - if you want thicker cookies as pictured, just let them cool as is!)
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!