Oats and coconut collide in these amazing coconut oatmeal cookies! These are naturally vegan, perfectly sweet, chewy, and full of amazing coconut flavour!
Good day, friends! It’s been a while since we’ve had any cookie action happening on this blog. If you read the post for my Easy Vegan Coffee Cake Donuts recipe, you’ll have read that my last cookie attempt was a complete failure, which ultimately resulted in that donut recipe. Shameless plug: those donuts are seriously amazeballs, go check ’em out! All in all, I’m actually glad that cookie attempt didn’t work out cause that donut recipe has been one of my most successful so far! I’m so grateful to all of you beautiful peeps for sharing that one so much on Pinterest!
Despite all that, I was still feelin’ like doing a cookie recipe. So what did I do to combat the cookielessness of SLC? Go back to my roots and make another oatmeal cookie! Of course, another goddam oatmeal cookie. I didn’t even realize it until I was partway through making the cookies that they were, yet again, from the oatmeal cookie family.
Then they baked. Then I tasted them. And then I thought, screw it, these are too good to postpone! So hear you have it folks, my fourth oatmeal cookie recipe on this blog. If you’re an oatmeal cookie fan like I apparently am, check out my recipes for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, and Coconut Carrot Cake Cookies.
These cookies are packed full of coconut in two ways: shredded coconut of course, and coconut oil! So much coconut, they’re just delish. This was proven to me when ALL of the cookies were devoured in pretty much no time at all the first time I made them. I had one. ONE. Sigh. The love/hate relationship between sharing your creations with others/not getting to eat any cause there’s never any left. You bakers know what I’m saying!
I love these cookies (and you will, too!) for two reasons:
1. They taste amazing, duh
2. You need one bowl, simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes, start to finish
Yaaas! These are perfect for whipping up a quick treat whenever a quick treat is needed! They’re crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and insanely delicious. And with all that coconut and coconut oil, I’d say it’s definitely a good excuse to have a few. You know what I’m sayin’. Treat yoself!
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted/softened
- 3-4 tbs water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat, and set aside
- To a large bowl, add all dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) and stir to combine
- To the dry mixture, add melted coconut oil, 3 tbs of water, vanilla extract
- Stir everything together until oil and water are incorporated
- Fold in shredded coconut
- At this point, the mixture should be fairly crumbly, but will stay together if you press it between your fingers. If your mixture does not stay together, add another tbs of water and mix
- Scoop 1.5 tbs of the mixture and roll into a ball in your hands, then flatten slightly (see the above photo in the post for an idea of how thick they should be)
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges are golden
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for about a minute, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!