The beloved oreo cookie steals the show in this amazing vegan chocolate cake! This oil-free cake is perfect for birthdays and special occasions!
Well hello there, everyone! I hope you all are doin’ well. I mentioned in the post for my Vegan Cranberry Flax Muffins that I would doing a recipe for my birthday cake and well.. here it is! This past Thursday marked my 26th birthday! I have officially lived for a quarter century. I would absolutely have to say that this last year has been one of the best! 25 will go down as a year of learning and growth within myself. Success! Cake is definitely in order.
For my past birthdays, my mom or S.O. would order a cake from a bakery and it would be all pretty and taste delicious, but tummy aches were definitely to be had. Last year they ordered me a vegan cake from a specialty bakery here in YYC, but it fell short of my expectations, to say the least.
What the fudge man. What the fudge.
So this year I decided to take my birthday cake into my own hands. I had initially planned to do a chocolate cake (OF COURSE) with a vegan bavarian cream filling. I’ve probably had that combo 5-6 times of my last 7 birthdays, in non-vegan form. Apparently, I’m a big fan of that combination! But last minute I decided to go with a chocolate-oreo cake instead. Not sure why I changed my mind, but what the hell, I’ll run with it. Oreos are my favourite variety of sh*tty grocery store shelf cookies, so I’m definitely okay with a little oreo indulgence!
The chocolate cake itself is super simple and easy, nothing crazy. I subbed applesauce instead of oil in the cake in an attempt to mildly mitigate the caloric load of all them oreos. And to be honest, the oil was not missed at all. The icing is actually really simple too – it’s just a basic vegan buttercream with
a healthy an insane amount of oreos added to it. So all in all it’s really quite a basic cake recipe, but the cake and icing together is just bomb AF. I am definitely not upset that I decided to make an oreo cake!
So hello 26! There’s seriously no better way to begin another year of life than with a nice giant slice a’ cake!
If you’re like me and think oreos are the GOAT definitely try this recipe out!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 cups dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup vegan butter, solid
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- 8 tbs dairy free milk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 27 oreos, crushed (1 entire standard package)
- Optional: More crushed oreos for in between layers and for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease and/or line a 3 8-inch cake pans (I line mine with a circle of parchment paper then grease with cooking spray)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In another large bowl, combine dairy free milk, sugar, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract, stirring until fully mixed
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Be careful not to over mix (the batter will be a little lumpy, that's okay!)
- Evenly distribute batter between your 3 prepped cake pans
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean
- Let cool in pans, then remove and allow to fully cool on a wire cooling rack
- Using a stand or electric mixer, cream vegan butter until light and fluffy
- Slowly add powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time and mix with butter until smooth. Depending on your environment you may use less powdered sugar than what I needed to use
- Add dairy free milk and vanilla extract and continue to mix
- Add crushed oreos and continue to mix
- Add more dairy free milk (1 tbs at a time) if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin
- Once the cake layers are completely cool, level the tops using a serrated knife or cake leveller
- On the first layer, spread a layer of oreo icing
- Sprinkle icing layer with roughly chopped oreo chunks if desired (optional)
- Place the second layer on top, and spread another layer or oreo icing and sprinkle with roughly chopped oreos (again, if desired)
- Place the third layer of cake on top and ice the top and outside of the whole cake
- Top with more oreo crumbs
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
I didn’t calculate nutritional information for this cake, cause calories don’t count on your birthday. It’s the law, dontcha know!